- Monuments – Archaeological Sites
- Customs – Gear Transfer
- Guns / Explosives
- UAS (drones)
- Ministry of National Defense
- Public Real Estate
- Specially Trained Animals
Monuments, Archaeological sites, Historic sites and Museums
The Ministry of Culture and Sports (YPPOA) is responsible for the vast cultural heritage of Greece. This includes the country’s archaeological sites and modern (post-1830) monuments, museums, movable and immovable cultural assets, underwater monuments, cultural buildings and historic sites (Law 3028/2002).
The Ministry of Culture and Sports with its competent Directorates, Services and Councils, is responsible for issuing filming permits (for cinematic and other audio-visual productions) for archeological sites, museums, monuments and historical sites in Greece.
The filming permit is granted after the relevant application form is submitted by the interested parties.
You can find the application form for filming permits here:
The following information is required to complete the application form for a filming permit in Museums, Monuments, Archaeological Sites and Historic Sites:
- The full details of the natural or legal person (name/suranme, postal address, telephone, e-mail), in whose name the permit and the document for the collection of the fees will be issued, including the tax details, as well as the name of the person responsible for the produciton.
- Purpose of filming
- A synopsis of the script in Greek or English, as well as a description of the scenes that will be shot in the specific areas, in the case of a fiction film or a commercial or TV production (excluding news programs). In case of a documentary, a description of the action of the script without dialogues (treatment) is submitted.
- List of the crew and description of the technical equipment to be used, as well as any description that facilitates the understanding of the shooting conditions.
- Detailed list of filming dates per monument / space / museum.
- Solemn declaration that the terms of this decision will be observed.
- Solemn declaration that the applicant will pay the corresponding VAT in terms of payment of fees.
- Certificate / solemn declaration for the amount of the production budget and the crew list for the whole production.
- In the case of fiction films, commercials, TV productions (excluding news programs) and documentaries, an additional Certificate provided by the Greek Film Centre is required, documenting that the script or the treatment does not promote violence, racism or sexism and does not violate current Greek law and human rights (please, read below).
The application for a filming permit is sent to the Services of the Ministry of Culture and Sports as follows:
- For filming in a monument/s, archeological site/s, historical place /s, museum/s that fall within the competence of the same Service of the Ministry of Culture, the interested party submits an application to the electronic address of the competent Service of the Ministry of Culture (i.e. Ephorate of Antiquities, Service of Modern Monuments and Technical Works or Museum).
- For filming in more than one monument, archeological sites, historical sites or museums that fall under the responsibility of different Services of the Ministry of Culture, the interested party submits an application to the General Directorate of Antiquities and Cultural Heritage (GDAPK) to the following email: [email protected].
- For the filming of a monument registered in the List of World Heritage Sites (UNESCO) and if there are special reasons for the protection of the monument, the request is forwarded by the competent Directorates of the Ministry of Culture to the Central Archaeological Council (KAS) or the Central Council of Modern Monuments (KSNM). In these cases, the decision on the request is issued by the Minister of Culture and Sports, after the opinion of the competent Council.
In case of a request examined by the Central Archaeological Council (KAS) or the Central Council of Modern Monuments (KSNM), the interested party has the right to attend the meeting. Relevant instructions can be given by the Hellenic Film Commission of Greek Film Centre.
Certificate confirming the absence of violence, racism and sexism provided by the Hellenic Film Commission of the Greek Film Centre.
In accordance with Government Gazette Issue B΄ 2812/04.07.2019, in the case of filming in archaeological and historical sites, the Hellenic Film Commission provides the CERTIFICATE issued by the Greek Film Centre (GFC) to confirm that the script of the production in question does not promote violence, racism or sexism and is not in breach of any legislation in force in Greece. The CERTIFICATE has then to be submitted to the Ministry of Culture and Sport as part of the application process for the required filming permit.
In order to issue a Certificate confirming the absence of violence, racism and sexism please, fill in the form here
1. The Ministerial Decision with Reference Number ΥΠΠΟΑ/ΓΔΑΠΚ/ΔΙΠΚΑ/ΤΠΚΑΧΜΑΕ/356481/254593/7509/2927 (Government Gazette Issue B΄ 2812/04.07.2019 defines the terms, conditions, procedures and definition of the bodies for granting a license for production, reproduction and dissemination to the public, in any way and means, copies and depictions of monuments belonging to the State.
2. The Joint Ministerial Decision with Reference Number ΥΠΠΟΤ/ΔΟΕΠΥ/ΤΟΠΥΝΣ/126463/28-12-2011 (Government Gazette Issue 3046/Β/30.12.2011) determines the payment of fees, depending on the case of the request.
The Ministry of Culture and Sports has posted application forms for filming permits, for the use of images, cinematography and photography of museums, archeological sites and monuments on its official website:https://www.culture.gov.gr/en/service/SitePages/view.aspx?iID=2691
Customs – Gear transfer
If you need to transfer the equipment for the shootings of international audiovisual productions you have to get the ATA1 Carnet, an international customs document that permits duty-free and tax-free temporary import of goods for up to one year. It contains pre-prepared unified customs declaration forms to be used at each customs border offices and serves as a guarantee to customs duties and taxes. To import or export your filming equipment in Greece you can contact with ATA Greece Athens Chamber of Commerce and Industry
Tel: +30 2103382254, +30 2103619241
Fax : +30 2103624643, +30 2103382378
Email : [email protected]
Web : http://www.acci.gr
1 The initials “ATA” are an acronym of the French and English words “Admission Temporaire/ Temporary Admission”.
Permits for the import of weapons in Greece for the shooting of audiovisual productions
The entry of weapons and related objects in Greece with the sole purpose of their use in the shooting of audiovisual productions is regulated by Law 2168/1993 – Government Gazette of the Hellenic Republic A-147 / 3-9-1993 -Regulation of issues related to weapons, ammunition, explosives mechanisms and other provisions.-.
The permit of the import of weapons in Greece for the shooting of audiovisual productions is issued by the Department of Weapons & Explosives of the State Security Directorate, of the General Police Directorate of Attica – of the Hellenic Headquarters in the MINISTRY OF CITIZEN PROTECTION, upon a request letter by the Department of Cinematography and Audiovisual Media of the Directorate of Performing Arts and Cinema of the General Directorate of Contemporary Culture of the Ministry of Culture and Sports.
For the supporting documents required for the issuance of the permit, please, find more information here:
Department of Weapons & Explosives:
General Police Directorate of Attica:
Public Relations Department of the Hellenic Police:
Applicants need to make their initial request to the Department of Cinematography and Audiovisual Media of the Directorate of Performing Arts and Cinema of the General Directorate of Contemporary Culture of the Ministry of Culture and Sports.
Unmanned Aircraft Systems – (drone)
For shooting with UAS (drone) it is necessary to issue a Commercial Operation License UAS for aerial filming and photography for professional purposes.
Responsible for giving this permit is the AIR TRANSPORT AND INTERNATIONAL AGREEMENTS DIVISION – D1/Α NATIONAL AND FOREIGN AIR CARRIERS SECTION.
This section of HELLENIC CIVIL AVIATION AUTHORITY is under the MINISTRY FOR INFRASTRUCTURE AND TRANSPORT.
The applicant – interested in obtaining this permit can visit the relevant website of Hellenic Civil Aviation Authority – Home (ypa.gr) and following the instructions to obtain the permit if he/she has all the supporting documents required, as detailed in Rules 13 and 14 of the Rules of Procedure. (- Government Gazette of the Hellenic Republic / B / 3152 / 30-9-2016).
* In case of aerial shots take place over archeological monuments and historical sites, it is necessary to pay a fee of 800 euros per day & VAT. (Please read the relevant instructions.)
For any further inquiries on this permit, please contact the Civil Aviation Authority directly:
Αreas supervised by the Ministry of National Defense
In case the scenario of any audiovisual production requires shooting in areas related to the national defense such as lighthouses, camps, naval or aviation facilities, the interested party should contact the Ministry of National Defense and specifically with the Office of Social Activities in order for the request to be referred to those in charge (Army, Navy, Air Force, etc.).
For more information you can consult the text with the Evaluation Criteria of the applications:
and get in touch with the Office of Social Activities:
Short-term lease of supervised premises by the Public Real Estate Company SA
In the context of shooting audiovisual producers related to cinema, television and advertising for specific spaces supervised by the Public Real Estate Company SA in addition to any other permission required by other services in order to allow filming there, it is necessary to enter into a short-term lease contract. The real estate Portfolio of the Public Real Estate Company SA which is intended for short-term lease includes 72.00 space such as marinas, camping, ski resorts, coasts, archeological sites, caves, thermal springs, Olympic facilities, former public properties.
Typical examples of these are: Teakwood Olympic Center of the Faliro Olympic Indoor Hall – Athens Attica, Galatsi Olympic Center, Schinia’s Rowing track center, Olympic Rowing Track, the Vouliagmeni Coast in Attica, Achillion Museum in Corfu, Diros’s Cave, Parnassos Ski Center, Kaimaktsalan Ski Center.
For more information you can contact the Public Real Estate Company SA directly:
Specially Trained Animals
To receive a Permit for entrance and stay of specially trained animals accompanied by their instructor in Greece for the needs of shooting audiovisual producers responsible is the Department of Imports and Intra-Union Trade of the Directorate of Animal Health of Ministry of Rural Development and Food.
Animal movements, on a case-by-case basis, fall under Community and health provisions for your best information, we refer you to the website where you can make your request or just ask for more information: